Wednesday, October 20, 2010

A 50's Sock-Hop

Yes, I attended a 50's sock-hop/Dance on saturday night. But it wasn't just any Dance, it was a dance with people in wheelchairs and people with pace makers and I was the youngest person there by far. Let me just explain this a little:

My parents have a neighbor/friend that lives behind them who was putting on a dance (sock-hop) for all her close friends and neighbors. Now this neighbor has lived near my parents for a long time and about a year ago, she lost her husband and her father on the same day, within a couple hours of eachother. Ever since then, my family has tried to support her any way we could. My dad goes over and fixes her swamp cooler/air conditioner (a swamp cooler is something we use in Colorado because of all the dry air). My mom has been a wonderful friend and there have been times where my husband has gone over to help fix her boiler. This lady is by far, the sweetest lady you will ever come meet. And she wanted to put on a 50's dance party. Knowing that she needed a little encouragement, my mom and dad and I put on the closest thing we had to 50's attire and decided to go. Going there, my dad said we were only going to stay for a little bit. He must have changed his mind when we got there because we stayed for almost 3 hours. This lady went all out; she gave away old records, had trivia and prizes, a DJ with only 50's music, taught us how to do dances from the 50's, tons of food and the decorations looked awesome.
This must be what a unemployed new graduate does with her mom and dad on a saturday night :) but it was really fun nonetheless. Some of you may be wondering where my husband was, because yes he was invited and had he not been hunting, he would have been there with me. But apparently he was getting himself lost in the woods (that's a story for another time, but yes he is safe and back home). Here are just a few pictures from our 50's dance party:
This is me and a cardboard cut out of James Dean :)


No comments:

Post a Comment